Friday, June 19, 2009

Day 2- At Sea

I got up this morning and took my first shipboard shower. I managed not to lose my footing and I didn’t have to run in and out of the shower with the rocking of the ship. I slept through the night and hardly felt any motion. I went to breakfast and sat with some Life Long Learners and a girl named Audrey who I am going to Barcelona with. The Life Long Learners have a ton of interesting stories and there isn’t a single country in the whole world that at least one of them hasn’t visited. After breakfast everyone met in the Union to discuss the book that we were supposed to read before our voyage. I got through about 20 mins of the discussion before I had to go lay down because I was feeling the fatigue part of sea sickness pretty strongly. I slept until the next session at 11 and then returned to the Union. I unfortunately had to leave again to experience the other symptoms of sea sickness and then slept for 4 hours. I think I have recovered for today but I hope I can acclimate soon because I don’t like sleeping through the whole day like I’ve done today.

 

The Union is not a great place to be stationed when you aren’t feeling good because it is up higher on the ship and towards the front. It experiences more rocking than the other areas on the ship. Additionally, the water is rougher because we are crossing the Atlantic. I have heard mixed opinions about how rough it is. Originally I heard it is a 5/10 for how rough it could be. I also heard that today was unusually rough. It looks pretty dreary outside so I hope it improves in the next few days. I made it back to the Union for the health and safety talk and a chance to meet our professors. Both of my professors seem interesting and enthusiastic about their subjects. Classes start tomorrow morning so we will see how they compare to the classes that I have taken before.

 

I had dinner with Courtney and her boyfriend to kind of celebrate her birthday. There were no alcoholic drinks served so she couldn’t really celebrate being 21 quite yet. I met up with some other people after dinner to play cards. We played cards, shifted to a classroom to play Pictionary and ended up playing charades until almost midnight. There was a boy, Mishal, from Saudi Arabia who made everything so much funnier. For example, he suggested chicken curry as one of the things we gave the other team to act out. I was proud when I guess three in a row correct for my team! We had to turn our clocks forward tonight as one of the first of four time changes before we reach Spain. I’m glad I remembered so I don’t sleep through the short breakfast there is before Global Studies.

 

+ + +

I cannot remember laughing harder playing Pictionary or charades than I did tonight.

 

- - -

I slept through lunch, however that’s not really a minus because I’m sure it was the same choices we had at dinner time.

No comments:

Post a Comment