Saturday, June 20, 2009

Day 4- At Sea

I made it to Global Studies just in time for a seat in the back of the Union this morning. Most of the class was spent drawing a map of the Mediterranean area and labeling the different regions, bodies of water, and land forms. This was all new to me because I never took geography in high school. So now that I know exactly where we are headed I will be much more prepared for my upcoming travels. My education class had an interesting conversation about need based and rights based aid to people. It took us a while to catch on to what the teacher was looking for but just to brag a little…I got it right on the money and explained it very well to the class. I had lunch with Jess, Julie, Tim (who is going on an excursion with me in Egypt) and Spencer. Lunch was not what you would expect. It was more like dinner items, such as pork chops, roasted pumpkin and rice pudding. I think everyone will be hungry tonight.

 

We had to go observe people out in the halls during Ethnomusicology today. I filled out my observation form in the computer lab. Everyone was looking at us like we were creeps because we were staring at people trying to check their email and making notes. This class is similar to my anthropology class from last semester at this point. I think it will be really interesting but more difficult to interview people in other countries because of the language barrier.

 

Dinner was funny chicken that tasted a whole lot better than it looked. It made our clothes smell like the food though, just from sitting in the dining hall for a couple of hours. I had dinner with Dan who is from NYU. He is a film major, so we talked about all his favorite movies. Most of them are from the 70s or foreign so I didn’t recognize any of them. After dinner I went to listen to the inter-port student talk about Spain. She just answered students questions about good places to go, mostly in Barcelona because that is where she goes to University. She gave us some sites to see and restaurants to visit. I made a list of things that sounded good so I can make sure I get to see them when we are in Barcelona next week. After the speaker I met up with a large group of people to play games. We couldn’t find a place to check out Trivial Pursuit so I convinced everyone to play Farkel. We had about 13 people playing, none of which had played before. At the end of three rounds only about 6 of them had earned points. We put the game on hold till tomorrow so some people could go have a drink at pub night. I went back to the room and watched the end of Harry Potter with my roommate. I signed up to work out for the first time at 7 am tomorrow morning which is pretty early considering my first class isn’t until 9:20. It will be interesting to see how using the machines works with the rocking of the ship. I heard its best not to look out the window.

 

+ + +

There is a genius kid in my ethnomusicology class that is EXACTLY like Mr. Bean.

 

- - -

I didn’t get any points in an hour’s worth of playing Farkel last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment