Monday, June 22, 2009

Day 5- At Sea

I woke up early to work out on the recumbent bike this morning. My thirty minutes of cycling was fantastic and I think I can attempt the elliptical or the treadmill sometime. I stopped by the dining hall to get some yogurt on my way to shower before class. Dan informed me that he submitted a note to the Rumor Channel on the televisions in our cabins. He asked if it was true that the ship was going slow on purpose. The response on tv was that yes, it is going slow because we have to have a certain amount of class days before our first port so we are getting there in twice as long as we could possibly take. I think everyone is frustrated with that but there isn’t much we can do about it, we are here for classes right?

 

I got a seat behind a pole in Global Studies so I had to lean one way to see the teacher then lean the other way to see the slides on the screen to write down the notes. It was quite the abdominal workout. I almost fell asleep in my education class until we got to do some group work. It is so different having big classes here. Most of my classes have about 15 or more people (Global Studies is about 800). I am used to having my small class of 6 where I know everyone very well and the teacher lets us have a discussion instead of presenting a lecture. It is hard for me to focus without any interaction with the teacher or the other students. Luckily I didn’t fall all the way asleep, that could have been embarrassing.

 

I finally got around to reading the notes written on the back of the painting in our room. They were pretty much the same: the food gets bad after a while, travel independently not with SAS, take advantage of every opportunity, etc. The most interesting thing was that a girl I went to camp with (or at least someone with the same name, from Austin, TX) was in the same cabin as I am and left a long message. I can’t wait to figure out if it’s the same girl, I’m almost positive it is. Also, I finally talked to Rachel last night. I know her from camp and haven’t seen her since. Apparently she was a counselor the year before I was.

 

After dinner tonight I went to hear David Geis speak about Spain. He told us a little history, some culture, and some things that are popular to do in various cities. It was good information and he is giving two more talks on the topic so we will get plenty information to plan our activities in Barcelona. After the speaker a bunch of us hung out and talked but I ended up going to sleep fairly early.

 

We saw two islands on either side of the ship this evening. I forget the name but they appear to be smack in between North America and Europe. And the crazy thing is people actually live there! Everyone went wild seeing land for the first time in a while.

 

+ + +

I finally exercised for the first time in a long time.

 

- - -

Julie almost burned the ship down by putting cheese on her toast in the toaster trying to make a grilled cheese. A man searched her out and yelled at her for it!

 

“You cannot find yourself; You can only become yourself.” Anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment