Monday, June 22, 2009

Day 6- At Sea, Father's Day

Happy Father’s Day!

I’m fairly used to being away from home on this day as I’ve only been home once since I was 10 years old. Hope you are enjoying your sports book Dad! Today was Day 4 of classes which is super strange since its Sunday. Classes were the usual, nothing exciting happened during the day. I worked out in the afternoon on the bike again. There was a little more activity in the afternoon compared to the morning. I met up with the usual crew for dinner. Pineapple upside cake was tasty for dessert. I did some reading for homework after dinner and signed up to work out again tomorrow.

 

I went to the multi-faith service at 7 tonight. I wasn’t sure what it would be like but I figured it would be good to check out. We started with a moment of silence to gather our thoughts and then two girls shared their personal stories of when faith had been really important to them. One of the girls talked about working in Romania and seeing a girl in the hospital with severe deformities. She said she was scared to be with her but then her friend put the girl in her lap and all of a sudden she didn’t see the girl’s disabilities anymore and just saw a regular pretty little girl. I thought that was a great story and thought about the kids I work with at school. I never had a moment like that when it just changed, I think I always looked past the physical part with the kids I volunteered with. Now that I work with them almost every day it just seems natural that they are normal people to me. But it also made me think of some of my friends who are nervous and feel weird around people with disabilities. I think if they were in close contact and took the time to look closer they would realize that people with disabilities aren’t scary, they are totally normal people who just look and do things differently.

 

After the multi-faith service I played some Apples to Apples with my friends and then Courtney, Shane, Mishal (pronounced Michelle, but he is a boy) and I hit up the "Rock the Ship" dance party in the Union. We tried to teach Mishal, who is from Saudi Arabia, how to dance, but we weren’t very successful. The dancing got kind of lame after a while. They should have chosen me as the DJ instead of DJ Billy. I would have been much more entertaining. We went outside for Pub Night but ended up just sitting around talking. It wasn’t really an eventful night.

 

+ + +

Courtney and I were supposedly on the tv’s in the rooms while they were filming the dance party. Emma said the camera caught us dancing so potentially 700 other people saw it too!...not sure if that’s really a plus though…

 

- - -

Shane “farkeled” (the new term for screwing up) tonight by pulling on the railing of a balcony inside on the 6th deck and pulled it off right as a crew member was walking by. The crew guy took his id number in case he has to pay for repairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment