Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Day 20- Capri, Italy

After our difficulty yesterday trying to get to Vesuvius I decided to go on a SAS trip instead of trying to figure out Capri on my own. I bought a ticket from Logan because she wanted to try to hike Vesuvius instead. I think going on that trip was the best idea I’ve had in Italy because it was AMAZING and the tour guide took us to some really neat places that we couldn’t have found alone. We started out taking a hydrofoil to the island of Capri. A hydrofoil (sp?) is a fast ship/boat/ferry type thing that has a ton of seats and also sells food and drinks, including beer. Once in Capri we boarded a bus and went up the mountains to Anacapri to see a breathtaking view. We saw some shops that made homemade perfume, soaps, candles, candies, chocolate, and lemoncello. We did a taste test for melon-cello and it was just ok. It was like being in a cloud at the top of Anacapri which is only reached by taking a rickety wooden chairlift. We saw gardens, homes, beaches, and cliffs. After Anacapri we went to lunch on the edge of a cliff and had homemade spaghetti, bread, chicken, and chocolate cake. Accompanied with some good white wine, of course.

 

After lunch we went to the town square and jumped on the tram back down to the harbor. There we got on a boat that took us around to the south end of the island and showed us all different caves and coral. We stopped off near some other boats and all got to jump into the water. Swimming in the Tyrrhenian Sea was like swimming in pure salt. Even the biggest person in the world could float with how salty that water was. It was nice and refreshing but left a film on your skin. After a quick (40 minute) hydrofoil ride back to Naples we rushed to the ship to shower. It was sad to leave Capri because it was so beautiful and also because it means that we are leaving Italy for good. Hopefully you can see the photos of Capri that are attached because I decided I will either live their or go on my honeymoon there. I just have to find one of the movie stars with a house there to marry.

 

The fast paced traveling is catching up with me and I have a paper and a presentation for tomorrow so I think it needs to be an early night. The paper is for music and I think I did a good job but I have no idea what the professor is looking for. The presentation is for my education class and I am teaching a lesson on human capital. I think that should be easy peasy because I can handle talking in front of strangers pretty well.

 

+ + +

I finally got to go swimming in a foreign body of water since our trip started! That and we had a 5th of July BBQ which was AWESOME! Hamburgers, hot dogs, ribs, salad, fruit, ice cream, and a giant flag shaped cake. You should be jealous.

 

- - -

I really can’t think of anything that wasn’t good about today! But yesterday I busted out the American flags I brought with me and no one wanted to be enthusiastic about it with me.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment