Friday, July 17, 2009

Day 25- Dubrovnik and Lokrum, Croatia

I met up with our group to go kayaking around 8am. I only knew a few people going so I met a bunch of new people. The videographer asked if she could follow us to the bus station to get some footage of students traveling independently in port. We said sure, thinking it would be an interesting experience. Since none of us really knew each other it was kind of hard to find the bus stop, find out which bus to take, and which stop to get off at. I think it took about 45 minutes to figure it all out but the lady said she got some good footage. She said the bus door closed in a girls face and she will put that shot in the video at the end of the voyage but I didn’t actually see it happen. I need to make a note to look out for that part!

 

After finally finding the beach (the same one we took the children to from the orphanage) we got some quick instructions from Marco, our guide for the day. We were the only people he was taking on this excursion so it was nice to only be with my friends. We jumped into our kayaks quickly and headed out across the sea. Sheryl-Ann and I were the only ones who decided to do a tandem kayak (is that what a two-person is called?). It took us a little while to get synchronized but we got a good rhythm going eventually. We went around the side of the island, Lokrum, and pulled up among some rocks to get out and walk around. We followed our guide to a restaurant and got some snacks to refuel for the trip back. After a quick dip in the water we were back in the kayaks and heading back to the beach. Total time in the boat was about three hours, longer than I have ever had to paddle any type of watercraft! It was quite a workout but definitely worth it for the views and the company. However, I’m not sure if I’ll be able to life my arms tomorrow since I am a weakling.

 

After kayaking we headed back to the ship and grabbed our extra kuna. (Kuna is the currency in Croatia, 1 USD = ~5 Kuna) Jon and I hit up the grocery store to get some snacks. I ended up with some chocolate and some hand soap. (There is only bar soap in our rooms for the sink, and I don’t like that) Back on the ship we showered up for dinner and watched the sunset on the back deck. We were supposed to leave for Greece tonight but departure has been postponed till early in the morning. Rumor is the captain (Roman Cristonavich (sp?) is from Dubrovnik) wanted to spend an extra night at home. His family is joining us for the rest of the voyage.

 

We saw nude cliff jumping during our kayaking today so here is some information I found on such activities:

 

Croatia was the first country in Europe to start with the concept of commercial naturist resorts. It is estimated that about 15% of all tourists that visit the country are naturists or nudists (more than one million each year). There are more than 20 official naturist resorts as well as a very large number of the so-called “free beaches” which are unofficial naturist beaches, sometimes controlled and maintained by local tourist authorities. You are likely to find nudists on any beach outside of town centers.

 

+ + +

I discovered that I am rocking the flip flop tan. Better that than no tan at all!

 

- - -

My nail polish has lost its color, probably due to the salt water. It looks nasty.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment