Monday, July 20, 2009

Day 27- Sea Olympics

I got up and was in the pool at 9 am to practice for the synchronized swimming competition. I ended up making up our routine from my little experience at camp. I don’t think it will be nearly as funny as some other groups but we will get full credit for the technical aspects for sure! After lunch we had opening ceremonies of the Sea Olympics in the Union. After each team presented their banner and cheer the competitions commenced. First up was synchronized swimming in the pool and Pictionary in the Union. (I had to drop out of Pictionary L ) I headed out to the pool and explained out routine to the two people who didn’t make it to practice in the morning. Some of the other routines were so funny I almost peed in my pants. Jon’s group was 4 boys and they danced/swam to the “Thong Song” with thongs drawn on their backs with marker. It was fairly disturbing but thoroughly entertaining. Other performances included boys in bikini tops, boys in speedos, and one of the IT guys being carried above everyone’s head on a raft. Our group was less entertaining but at least we made it through without embarrassing ourselves. Next I watched lip synching which was a great exhibition of the talent on our ship. There was a great Tina Turner minus the hair. The scariest was a boy named Eric who had a weave and a dress with the top stuffed. He sang an inappropriate song complete with hand gestures and facial expressions. He got a high score from one judge provided that he never did that again.

 

My next event was the relay race which was more complicated than any relay I’ve done before. Leg one was egg on a spoon, second was three legged race, then rock paper scissors against the judge, then a Sudoku puzzle. Next was wheelbarrow (I was the wheelbarrow) and then orange-under-the-chin pass. Last was a mystery task which ended up being a map that needed to be labeled with all the ports within a half inch. I watched some of the Academic Bowl, Jeopardy style, and learned all about Thurgood Marshall and Michael Jackson.

 

Dinner was another BBQ which was when I picked up a date. Jon babysits a dependent named Ryder who just turned three. Ryder is attached to Jon more than I’ve ever seen a little kid be attached to someone. So Ryder came and had dinner with us on the 6th deck. Since Jon was carrying Ryder I had to carry their plates for them and ended up cutting up their food for them. I had to trick Ryder into trying a little bit of everything and make sure there any seeds in the orange segments. I made us all ice cream sundaes with sprinkles for dessert. After eating, the three of us went up to the sports court to have a race. Ryder claims that he is faster than me because he runs as fast as a whale swims. I think I lost every race.

 

After dinner we went to the closing ceremonies and it was announced that the Yellow Sea won. That means they get to get off the ship first when we arrive in Norfolk. I think our sea was third to last but everyone had a good time anyway.

 

+ + +

Our team, the Bering Sea, won the relay race, but very little else.

 

- - -

I saw too much drag today; entertaining, but scary.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment