Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Day 8- At Sea, Pre-port Spain

I woke up a little late and as I didn’t sign up to work out last night I went to breakfast before showering. Breakfast ends at 8:30 am but my class isn’t till 9:20 am so I have some extra time in between. However, I would rather sleep till 8:30 and get breakfast right before class so I’m not starving by lunch time at noon. Meal times on the ship are so strange so when we get to Spain we will be thrown off by their 10 pm dinner time. (We usually eat at 5:30 pm)

 

Ethnomusicology was the most exciting class today because we watched videos of flamenco (flaming-o as Prof. Jones’ son calls it) dancing and singing. He sang and imitated the female dancers for us. It was much more stimulating than whatever we talked about in Social Justice and Educational Theories today. (obviously because I can’t even remember what the topic was…maybe something about schools raising children to be socially responsible instead of the parents?) Erik was psyched about the fish sticks at lunch today. They were pretty good and the lima beans were great. I might have been the only one who actually really likes lima beans. I ate lunch with Matt who just graduated from Bentley right outside Boston and a professor named Jamie (?) who teaches Religion. She asked us so many questions about ourselves but very detailed ones which required me to pull up a bunch of audiology information that I learned almost two years ago when she asked me why people lose their hearing as they get older. It was a struggle but I think I gave a good explanation of how the different parts of the ear work and how different things can go wrong to cause hearing loss. It was kind of funny because I wanted to answer the question but at the same time I was thinking about why or if she even cared!

 

In our logistical Pre-port lecture we learned all about the do’s and don’ts of going into Spain. We learned all the emergency numbers, what constitutes an emergency, when to get on and off the ship etc. etc. It was all good information and got everyone REALLY excited for our first port. We spent the rest of the evening playing Rummy (I’m currently in second place of our running game) and talking about what we want to do in Cádiz tomorrow. We are probably going to explore the city before we all part ways on Thursday to see different parts of the country. The plan is to see the sunrise in the morning as the ship comes into the port and get our first sight of real land and Europe!

 

+ + +

We are going to be in Spain in less than 10 hours probably!

 

- - -

I realized today that I didn’t bring a nail clipper. HUGE mistake there!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment